FTA Low No Grants for ZEB Training Simulators
The FTA Low-No Grants now require applicants to dedicate 5% of the requested federal award to workforce development and fleet transition plans; our training solutions are ready to prepare your workforce for the transition to low- and zero-emission transit vehicles.
Leverage ZEB / BEB Technology Through Simulation Training
FAAC’s transportation simulators are equipped to assist agencies in preparing operators to leverage Zero Emission Bus and Battery Electric Bus technology by introducing and training students on these advancements through high-fidelity simulation training.
Introducing new technology requires an approach that lets students understand how the technology is designed to work followed by a realistic training experience. The FAAC MB 2000 simulator has genuine battery electric bus vehicle models, which provides students first-hand experience driving these types of buses prior to over-the-road training.
Core Focus Areas of ZEB / BEB Bus Operator Training
Simulation Training Use Cases
- New-Hire Training
- Remedial Training
- ZEB-Based Training
BEB Operator Training
- Regenerative Braking and BEB Braking Techniques
- Battery Electric Bus Familiarization and Operation
- Battery Electric Bus Energy Consumption Optimization
Route Specific BEB Operation Training
- Opportunity Charging
FAAC MB 2000 Bus Simulator featuring ZEB Solutions
Readying the Customer to use Simulation
To help customers onboard a training tool within an existing training program, FAAC provides a Certified TSI Instructor for a two-day training review on-site with the customer’s trainers.
Over two days, a FAAC trainer will meet with agency instructors, review the existing curriculum, and discuss the state of training.
- Existing Program Review: Understand agency New-Hire, Remedial, & Refresher training
- Curriculum Assistance: Identify areas to incorporate simulation training
- Integrating Technology: Identify training scenarios that align with curriculum
- Train-the-Trainer: Implementation and functional use of the simulator as a training tool
On-Route Charging & Positioning Scenarios
FAAC’s scenario database is ready to support battery electric bus training objectives for common charging variants.
- New technology introduction and familiarization
- Target setting and charge scheduling with a focus on Opportunity Charging
- Vehicle fine positioning and parking
Assessment and Learning System | VITALS powered by FAAC
The VITALS Dashboard is a graphical display with colored zones that can be seen in real-time from the Instructor Station during a live scenario or once a scenario is completed. More than simply a “score sheet,” VITALS acts as an interactive playbook for the instructor. It helps them develop custom curricula for each trainee based on recognized best practices, agency policy, and that trainee’s specific strengths and areas of improvement.
- Standardized and objective assessments
- Train agency policy through engagement zones
Operator Performance Dashboard
The operator performance dashboard begins to identify energy regen and energy use, which are essential when operating battery electric buses (BEB). Instructors will be able to educate new hires that they are fueling the BEBs and then pair that with insights from the Dashboard that identify how their driving tendencies affect the state of charge (SOC).
- Preparing to Maximize the Technology
- Operator is fueling the Battery Electric Bus (BEB)
- Identify driving behaviors and tendencies
- BEB Adaptive Driving
- Allowing regen to work as intended
- Timing – learning the feel of stopping distance
- Leveraging regen begins to have 2nd & 3rd effects
- Offset range anxiety
- Maintain high(er) State of Charge
Student Learning Progression and Drive History
The Student Drive History allows an instructor to review how and why a certain rating was attained; VITALS retains all the historical information related to a drive along with green, yellow, and red infractions. The Student Progression displays the variability in the student’s scores as they train in the simulator. VITALS remain configurable for each organization.
- Confirming that learning has occurred (monitor students learning progression over time)
Latest News and Videos
Related Simulator: MB 2000 Bus Simulator
The MB 2000 Bus Simulator is the highest-fidelity simulator available for training transit bus operators. This fully customizable system provides a true-to-life experience that prepares operators for real-life driving environments.