When it comes to military and law enforcement, having an optimal shooting range is ideal. Keeping them safe is essential and allowing them to practice drills and honing their skills for real life situations is crucial. With the many options available, it can be hard to make the most ideal choice concerning indoor shooting ranges and outdoor shooting ranges. That is why we at Shooting Range Industries have presented the pros and cons of indoor VS outdoor shooting ranges for your consideration.
Pros & Cons of Building an Outdoor Shooting Range
Pros: Outdoor ranges typically have less pricey equipment. It can be easily set up to simulate law enforcement tactical situations for realistic advantages. If budget is a concern, opting for an outdoor shooting range might be easier on the pocket book.
– With an outdoor shooting range, you have more options for space, giving your shooters more realistic scenarios and training drills. With the ability to spread out more freely, military and law enforcement have more opportunity to expand their potential.
– Increased firing mobility allows for more tactical freedom, distance, vehicle scenario, and terrain-based exercises.
– Less limited to ammo use.
Cons: Soil engineering and earthwork can be expensive, and not all sites are shooting range ready. Preparing the soil can require excessive excavation to ensure the bullet containment which will increase developing cost.
– Bullet containment can be a challenge and impractical due to the expense of ensure 100% containment. It also means going off the beaten path to keep the local citizens safer from stray bullets.
– Noise containment. With outdoor ranges, muffling the noise can be near to impossible. As houses encroach, you can sooner rather than later discover your range will have be shut down.
Pros & Cons of Building an Indoor Shooting Range
Pros: With the ease of indoor ranges being built anywhere, in the middle of developed cities even, they are definitely more convenient for your military/law enforcement officers to get to. Cutting costs for on duty officers to practice on the range can help over time as it will prevent them from having to drive greater distances to outdoor ranges.
– Ranges can still be used during extreme weather conditions, whereas outdoor ranges are not optimal for such circumstances.
– Modern technical advancements can improve more readily in indoor shooting ranges.
– Virtual reality of realistic scenarios can be practiced.
– Increased retail value.
Cons: Indoor shooting ranges can be more pricey, suppressing sound and meeting all the additional requirements can be overwhelmingly expensive. Along with pricey structural requirements, the OSHA and EPA requirements for ventilation systems and HVAC systems get ecru cost.
– Indoor ranges can come with more limitations and constraints depending on the zoning; making it difficult for all types of shooting and calibers to be shot.
Custom Designed Shooting Ranges for Military & Law Enforcement Agencies
No matter which range you decide on; an inside shooting range or outside shooting range, Shooting Range Industries can consult with you on the most optimal solution, design your custom shooting range, and get it engineered for your military or law enforcement agents to commence honing their skills. Call us today to get started.